Feature note #5 - business glossary
What is a business glossary?
A business glossary makes it possible to define terms used within an enterprise. It is a trusted reference business “dictionary” in an organization.
Its main objectives, among others, are to:
- Use the same definitions and create a common language between all employees,
- Have a better understanding and collaboration between business and IT teams,
- Associate business terms to other assets in the enterprise and offer an overview of their different connections,
- Elaborate and share a set of rules regarding data governance.
Integrating a business glossary in Zeenea
Since our latest release note 19.07, Zeenea offers a business glossary within its data catalog. This feature was developed to answer our clients’ needs: to link a business term to another informational asset, in our case, in the data domaine.
Zeenea automatically connects and imports your glossaries and dictionaries in our tool with our APIs. A glossary can also be manually created within Zeenea’s interface.
In the same way as you can for any given dataset, it is possible to visualize business terms in the “Glossary” tab. These new assets can be:
- documented (descriptions, tags, properties, etc.)
- linked to one or many contacts
- indexed in our search engine
- affiliated to a field in a dataset’s schema
It is up to the Data Steward to confirm – manually or with our intelligent suggestions – one or more business terms to a field. This information can be documented and viewed on the field page of a dataset.
Links between business terms and specific fields are also visible on the business terms page. On this page, the “fields” tab shows all of the fields related to the selected business terms.